Topics Covered in TR-1:
- Basic TR-1 as coach/pc and student
- Being yourself, not someone else
- More on making it your own, not the book's
- Not too loud, not too soft
- Not too fast, not too slow
- Speaking clearly
- Correct timing, got pc's attention
Section 4: Coach | Student
- Correct consideration
- Correct intention
- All of the above points, including Sections 1-3
Back: TR-1 Coach/Pc Drill 4
Next: TR-1 Student Drill 2
TRs 0-4 instructions
TR-1 as Student: Section 3
Page 1 of 4: Drill 1
Here you will be making and reviewing short recordings of your voice. Refer back to the instructions page if you need to. It is a waste of time to try and do this drill here without a microphone.
- In this drill, you will be saying various lines, three times each. The first time you will be saying the line in an "unclear" way, mumbling, or swallowing the words or however you want to as long as it is not really clear.
Then give the same line again, but as clearly as you can. The third time, say it naturally but also clearly, without overdoing the clarity.
- Click on "TR-1: Start" and hear the coach start the drill. Close that start window.
- Start recording. Say the line unclearly. Be very unclear, not slightly unclear! Exaggerate. Do it as very much not yourself.
- Listen to the recording. Note to yourself that it is not clear at all.
- Under "My student/auditor actions", click on the option that best describes what you just heard in your recording, here "It was unclear".
- Hear the "Flunk". Note the flunk is because you didn't do the proper thing for TR-1, not because you didn't follow the instructions written here. Close the open movie/window.
- Then say and record the same line again, but this time say it with the utmost clarity you can manage. Overdo it. Then listen to the recording you just did, and grade it as appropriate.
- Finally, say the same line with acceptable clarity. Listen to the recording, and grade it as usual.
- When you have done twenty lines, acceptably very unclear, overclear, and just right, go on to the next drill. Or repeat this one if you wish.
Things to Click:
My student/auditor actions:
It was unclear
It was clear
It was exaggeratedly clear
"I wonder how many miles I've fallen by this time?"
"Yes, that's about the right distance".
"Please, Ma'am, is this New Zealand? Or Australia?"
"Do you think you could manage it?"
"There are no mice in the air, I'm afraid".
"Do bats eat cats?"
"No, I'll look first, and see whether it's marked 'poison' or not".
"What a curious feeling!"
"I wonder what I should be like then?"
"Come, there's no use in crying like that!"
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
"Oh dear, what nonsense I'm talking!"
"Stop this moment, I tell you!"
"If you please, sir--"
"I shall never get to twenty at that rate!"
"I'm sure those are not the right words".
"Who am I then?"
"I am so VERY tired of being all alone here!"
"However, everything is queer to-day".